1.What are your hours and days of operation?

The Animal Shelter is open Monday through Friday from 11:00 am until 5:30 pm and Saturday from 9:30 am until 4:00 pm. The Animal Shelter is closed on Sundays and most holidays. 



2.Where is the Animal Shelter located?

The Animal Shelter is located at 26 Frosty Lane. Once you turn off Jefferson Davis Highway onto Courthouse Road going towards Interstate 95, go to the second light and make a left onto Wyche Road. Follow Wyche Road back almost to the end and you will see on the left a blue sign that states Stafford County Animal Shelter and then the green street sign for Frosty Lane. Turn left onto Frosty Lane and we are the only building on Frosty. 



3.What are the adoption fees for dogs and cats?

There is a $20.00 adoption fee for dogs and a $10.00 adoption fee for cats. We accept cash, credit and debit cards, Apple Pay and checks for payment.



4.Do you give vaccinations to your adopted animals?

Puppies and kittens receive their first DA2PP or FVRCP vaccinations (canine distemper or feline distemper vaccinations). Puppies and kittens are also dewormed with Strongid. We currently do not test for heartworm or feline leukemia. If an owner turns in a dog or a cat, we try to obtain its vaccination history.



5.Do you euthanize animals for the public?

As of 2019, the Stafford County Animal Shelter no longer euthanizes companion animals for the public. We recommend contacting your primary veterinarian or local veterinarian for euthanasia services.



6.Are you a "no-kill" facility?

The shelter is defined as an “open admission” shelter, meaning we turn no animal away. As an open-admission shelter, we take in ill and injured animals and those that are not immediate candidates for adoption. We receive pets that are no longer wanted, pets from people who can no longer care for them, as well as stray animals.  At this time, the Stafford County Animal Shelter does have to euthanize animals, however, we do try to keep them as long as possible.  Our ultimate goal is to find a family for every adoptable animal in our shelter.



7.Can I foster an animal?

Stafford County Animal Control has a foster program. We foster animals under certain circumstances, such as un-weaned puppies and kittens, animals being held for court cases, special needs animals and adoptable animals when space is limited. Please call us at (540)658-7387 for more information. A home check will be required.



8.How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint by calling the Stafford County Animal Control office at (540) 658-7387. If the facility is closed, you will be directed to the Sheriff Department communications dispatch. Complaints can also be made by emailing us.



9.Is there an Animal Control Officer available after your facility closes?

Yes, an Animal Control Officer is available 24/7. If you call our facility after hours, you will be directed to the Sheriff Department communications office which can get in touch with the on-call Animal Control Officer.



10.Are there leash laws in Stafford County?

Yes, there are leash laws for dogs in Stafford County. In residential areas a dog must be on its owner's property at all times. If off of the owner's property, the dog must be on a leash with the owner or custodian. During the months of April through September, there is a county-wide leash law. All dogs in Stafford County must then be kept on its owner's property.



11.Do animals have to be licensed in Stafford County?

Dogs do have to be registered in Stafford County. The county offers permanent county dog tags for $10.00. These are life time tags and the owner must keep the dog current on rabies vaccine once purchased. They may be purchased at the Stafford County Treasurers Office or the Stafford County Animal Shelter. 



12.Do you pick up stray cats?

Currently, there is no leash law for cats in Stafford County. Cats are considered "free-roaming" animals. We will take in any cats found in Stafford County at the Animal Shelter during our normal hours of operation. We also lend out humane cat traps for Stafford residents to use to trap feral cats. A cat trap can be used for a two week time period.



13.Is there a barking ordinance?

There is a noise ordinance under the Sheriff's Office laws. Under the noise ordinance there is a section regarding animals. The Stafford County Animal Control will speak to an owner about the dog or other animal making noise. However, if the noise continues to be a problem for the complainant, the complainant may have to obtain a warrant for the owner at the magistrates office to go to court. Call Stafford County Animal Control at (540) 658-7387 for more information regarding the noise ordinance.



14.Do you handle wildlife calls?
We will handle sick and injured wildlife calls. We will also assist in removing snakes and some wildlife from houses when possible. However, most nuisance wildlife calls are handled by the Game Warden office at (540)899-4169. We will be glad to offer some advice if feasible.


15. How Can I help?

We welcome all volunteers!  There are many opportunities to help at the shelter, both in person and from home.  Donations, social media, foster families, dog walking, cat room visits, food and toy drives, kennel "games and entertainment".  Please visit our Get Involved page to find out more.


​​Help make a difference and sign up
to volunteer today!

​I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It’s easy. Just click “Edit Text” or double click me and you can start adding your own content and make changes to the font.


Your details were sent successfully!