top of page

​Animal Control




It is the purpose of the Animal Control Division to insure a safe coexistence between animals and people and to:


-Educate the citizens of Stafford on proper care, bite prevention, rabies control and disaster preparedness.


-Enforce the comprehensive animal laws of the commonwealth of Virginia and Stafford County.


-Humanely provide for the animals that come into our care at the animal shelter and after they leave.

Animal Control Officers are available;

Monday-Friday: 7am-8:30pm;

Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-5:00pm.

Officers are available for emergency calls 24 hours a day. Please call (540)658-4400 if you have an after hours, emergency to report to one of our animal control officers. 






All Stafford County Animal Control Officers (ACO’S) are certified by the Department of Agriculture for Animal Control and the Department of Criminal Justice as Stafford County Deputy Sheriffs. They are required to maintain continuing education hours to remain certified in both categories.


In addition, the ACO’S attend training in Equine care and Body scoring, cruelty investigation, animal fighting (dogs and chickens), Wildlife care, and training in exotic animals. Disaster management and control are also high on the list for education.


The ACO’S are responsible for the day to day complaints of dogs running loose, rabies vaccination and county dog license compliance, sick or injured animals, barking dog ordinance violations, animals locked in vehicles, welfare checks on the care and housing of animals, cruelty speculations, animal attacks/bites, and all other State laws and County ordinances applying to domestic and agriculture animals. Our animal control officers go above and beyond for the citizens and animals in our community. 



To reach a specific Animal Control Officer, call the shelter at

540-658-7387 and select option 3

Animal Control/ Non-Emergency Dispatch (540)658-4400





Our animal control officers are NOT licensed to trap and remove wildlife from your property. You must contact a wildlife specialist or private pest control and hire them for that service. If you suspect wildlife to have rabies or it comes in contact with you or your pet, please contact our animal control to have that animal tested for rabies.


Please contact our animal control if you suspect wildlife is sick or injured

If you have questions or concerns about nuisance wildlife please contact the Game Warden (540)899-4169

bottom of page